Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Chasuble Shopping

After a sudden flurry of emails and phone calls, it seems as though the day I have been waiting, working and praying for has finally been scheduled: my priestly ordination. I've been in what is known as "the process" in Episcopal circles since the spring of 2005. And since the process started before "the process" started, this choice of vocation and its implications have been in my life even longer. The process has been struggle and grace, anger and love, denial and affirmation, stumbling block and acceptance. It's made me miserable down to the very depths of my soul, and when I couldn't take the misery anymore and let it go, it made me free. In many ways, the process has been with me for so long, and formed me so much, that I almost can't conceive of a life without it.

And so despite talking about it for years, being ordained to the deaconate, and discussing dates and times, the thought that I will actually be a full-fledged priest didn't even really register until my rector sat me down and told me that I need to pick out a red chasuble and stole. 

Holy shit. A chasuble. For wearing. For wearing when I do the things that priests do. To quote Liz Lemon, "What the what."  So, I'm chasuble shopping for March 27th, at 7:00pm, at St. Thomas' Episcopal Parish, Dupont Circle. All--the faithful, the curious, the intrepid--are welcome. 

1 comment:

  1. I am so proud of you! This has been such a long time coming and you have worked so hard for it! I really wish I could be there to see it all happen...I'll have to live through updates and possible photos in the meantime. Talk about what makes life harder living abroad...your best friend gets fragging ordained!!!

    ReplyDelete